I am slowly recovering from what I have dubbed “The Weekend of Awesome”.
I traveled to Chicago Friday to spend time with friends and had a wonderful time. I saw folks I haven’t seen in months and had a blast catching up. Sunday I lazed around with the friends I stayed with before heading to Detroit to catch the band Bastille in concert.
How do I describe meeting and seeing Bastille? “OMG OMG OMG love!” comes to mind. What fabulous guys and the concert was one of the best I’ve seen. It was really a phenomenal night for me. They showed me (and the rest of the sold out crowd) why the were named my Best New Band of 2013 and Best Album as well. They are stellar performers. Momma K gives a mega stamp of approval. I’m looking forward to their performance Saturday on SNL. I just know they are going to hit it out of the ballpark!
Bonus of the evening: meeting Dan Connelly’s partner-in-crime/co-worker Bill Carroll, who is a great guy. We also enjoyed the opening band Grizfolk who wowed the crowd.
That wasn’t the only music I saw last week. Last Monday I saw the artist Matt Andersen perform and was super impressed.
Confession time: normally when I go to concerts I sneak out early, especially on a weeknight. I stick around for 5-6 songs then head out. Not with Matt Andersen. I was so impressed I wouldn’t have moved for anything. Here’s a link to a YouTube video of him performing (and it starts with the song that brought tears to my eyes): http://youtu.be/gD56M89F7Ew
I am impatiently awaiting his new album which comes out in April.
In other news….it’s Cleveland in winter so the usual round of snow and cold. Kids and hubby are doing well. I think I’m taking the kids sledding this weekend….something all three of us love to do. (See, Ayappa? Another bonus to Cleveland winters: sledding, followed by hot coca and snuggles on the couch.)
Adds this week:
* Elizabeth & The Catapult: Spider messaged me last week to tell me how incredible he thinks the new album is. We don’t normally work music to each other unless we’re hooked. Spider is absolutely hooked! And I absolutely agreed.
*Greg Laswell: A core artist to our format with good reason. I love the remake of the song and the whole album.
* HAIM: I really love this band, so delighted to add the second single!
* JD Eicher & The Goodnights: We love JD here on The Heights! What a great album (and amazing artist!)
* Rosanne Cash: I brought the album with me on my road trip this weekend to try and find a single I thought could work for The Heights. After consideration (and a talk with Melanie from Songlines) I decided Modern Blue was the perfect song for The Heights.
*Sam Roberts: I’m a huge fan of his and so are a lot of our listeners. I can’t wait to hear the full album.
* Tommy Castro & The Painkillers: You know we love our blues here in Cleveland. One listen was all it took to know I needed to add the single to The Heights.